Freitag, 10. Juni 2016 | 10.30 Uhr
As of 1757, Duke Carl Eugen had some rooms on the second floor of the New Main Building arranged as his private apartments. The Duke met with his closest confidantes here. The rooms provided the setting for conversation, games and music. The décor points in part to what the rooms were used for: gilded stucco and carvings in the Assembly Room depict musical instruments, an allusion to the fact that the room also served as an intimate concert hall.
The playful charm of the Rococo art can be seen in the two cabinets which are adjacent to the public areas. In the light-blue corner room, the hand-painted wall covering with flowers and bird motifs have been reconstructed. The tableaux with playing putti and chivalric scenes above the doors and windows are by Württemberg court painter Adolf Friedrich Harper. For the pictures in the remaining rooms, Duke Carl Eugen engaged the great fresco painter Matthäus Günther.
Large format portraits define the impression of the first antechamber. They depict the young Duke Carl Eugen, his bride Elisabeth Friederike Sophie and her mother margravine Wilhelmine von Brandenburg-Bayreuth, a sister of the Prussian King Friedrich the Great. The paintings are by the Prussian court painter Antoine Pesne. Art-lover Duke Carl Eugen constantly acquired precious items of furniture directly in Paris, for example the two commodes which are the work of Jacques-Philippe Carel circa 1750.
Duke Carl Eugen owned a wealth of sumptuous French furniture, some of which he bought on his travels in France.